Slade Heathcott who was drafted by the Yankees in the 1st round in 2009 was kind enough to give me some time to answer some questions on twitter. The questions come from me and fishjam25. Slade is one of the jewels in the Yankee system. Thanks again to Slade for his time. If you would like to follow Slade on twitter his name is @SladeHeathcott
Baseball Reference has all his stats to date click the link to see what he has done so far as a Yankee prospect
1) How is your shoulder? What have you been doing for rehab and will you be 100 percent when Spring Training starts?
It’s feeling good, just taking it slow. I plan on being in games around May.
2) Do you work out in Tampa at Yanks facility in Winter or home (if home where do you currently reside?)
I pretty much live in Tampa now, I work out at complex and also with Speed Source in Tampa at powerhouse gym.
3) Critique yourself as a ballplayer…what are your strengths and weaknesses?
That’s a tough one I have a lot of weaknesses…a lot of things I need to mature on as a player.
4) Has the team told you if you will start in Extended Spring Training this year or right to playing for the Tampa Yankees?
It just depends on how the shoulder rehab goes, I’m not sure where I’ll start yet.
5) You have blinding speed and use it to play a great CF. What do you need to do to become more of a successful base stealer?
I’m not that fast I get good reads and good first steps which makes it seem like I’m faster, I need to work on my reaction.
6) When I saw you play in person, my first impression of you was (Brett Gardner with muscles). Do you think you are similar to Brett and what Major Leaguers do you pattern yourself after?
I don’t know if I can say I pattern myself after any big leaguers, Brett Gardner is a hell of a player.
He plays hard as hell every single day and that should be very respected.
7) Do you feel any pressure to produce to prove to people you are as good as any CF/OF in the organization?
No I don’t really feel pressure from the organization, more of my family and wanting to make them proud.
The Yankees know I’ll do everything possible and work hard to do everything possible. I also trust in my path.
8) I’m really excited to see what you can accomplish with a full year of 100% health – what are your goals for this season?
Just to stay healthy and have my ups and downs because thus what they are and not because of injures..