Random Thoughts and Musings
Since there are so many things going on with the Yankees, most of them bad obviously, I decided to give my thoughts on everything, rather then just on one topic or player.
- It really boils down to this. Steve Pearce and Andruw Jones batting cleanup with Russell Martin batting 5th just isn’t going to get it done. Simple as that. What can you realistically expect with a lineup like that?
- What can they do at this point to fix it? Not much unfortunately. Sure they have some September call-ups but how much can we realistically expect from them? Guys like Chris Dickerson, Francisco Cervelli, Cory Wade, Eduardo Nunez, Zolio Almonte, David Adams, Corban Joseph, or whoever they call up are unlikely to be season changers. We have already seen some of those guys and know pretty much what they are. Not saying you can’t catch lightning in a bottle with any of those guys, but you really have no idea. They just have to hope to get healthy as quickly as possible.
- The lineup just has too many platoon players. They already had to many before two of their non- platoon players in Alex Rodriguez and Mark Teixeira went down. Eric Chavez, Ichiro Suzuki, Raul Ibanez, Andruw Jones, and Steve Pearce should only be in the lineup against an opposite-handed pitcher from them. Curtis Granderson and Robinson Cano have not hit lefties this season. Also, Russell Martin can’t hit any pitchers. That leaves two guys in Derek Jeter and Nick Swisher who can hit either lefties or righties. That also will not get it done.
- The Yankees bullpen outside of Rafael Soriano and David Robertson has a 4.97 ERA since the All-Star break. The Yankees have no reliable righties outside of those two. This could be a big problem down the stretch as Joe Girardi may be forced to overwork Soriano aN. Robertson.
- The starting pitching will need to carry this team through this upcoming 10 game stretch.
- If Rodriguez, Teixeira, and Andy Pettitte are healthy I give the Yankees as good of a chance as anyone in the AL. Whether they get healthy at all or quick enough to halt this bad stretch remains to be seen.