Today was a CRAZY day for baseball! Yankees played 2 games at the same time which was pretty confusing to follow both games at once, but somehow I managed to get it done! Yankees won vs. the Phillies but lost to the Twins, so that makes their record for the Spring 5-5. Onto today’s notes.
– CC Sabathia & Phil Hughes both had GREAT starts today. Here are CC & Phil’s lines for today.
CC Sabathia: 3 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K
Phil Hughes: 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Here was what CC Sabathia had to say about his start.
“Felt good. The fastball command was pretty good, the secondary pitches were working. I still got a little ways to go, you know. I still want to work on my two-seamer. But I feel good today… Fastball command (improved). Getting it in on righties, and Russ did a good job making sure we got a lot of those. He called a lot of two-seamers which is something that we’ve been working on all spring. He did a good job of working in things we were trying to do.”
Here was what Phil Hughes & Joe Girardi said about Hughes’s start:
Hughes: “The cutter wasn’t as good as it was last time, but the curveball was much better. Fastball location was much better, as well. Command-wise, it was a lot better, especially in the second and third innings… It seemed like my fastball was good. It was jumping on hitters a little bit based on the swings I was getting. That was a positive thing. Being able to work out of some trouble with guys on, they put together some good at-bats in the first and I was able to get around those.”
Girardi: “I thought he had everything today. Fastball location was much better, he threw some good changeups, curveballs and cutters. I was very pleased. I thought it was a nice step in a positive direction for him. A lot of times at this point in the first couple starts, I’m focusing on the good things. Knowing that they are rusty, you don’t expect them to have their A stuff a lot of times. You want to see what they’ve got the first couple starts. I was pleased.”
– Joe Girardi revealed that Hughes & Sabathia will split their next start, each pitcher to go 4 innings.
– If you think that there is a race to see who can get the most stolen bases this Spring, you might be right. When reporters asked Russell Martin what he thought about that, he said “I’m putting a little pressure on Gardy. That’s all I’m doing.” Well Russell, it seems that Brett got the message because he swiped a bag as well today. Martin has 4. Gardner has 2. Stay tuned for ‘The Stolen Base Race” all Spring long.
– David Robertson ditched the crutches today and is walking with the boot. Robertson himself will determine if the boot will come off tomorrow, according to Girardi.
– Eduardo Nunez is expected to see some game action on Tuesday vs. the Red Sox. Nunez was shut down yesterday after feeling discomfort in his wrist from a hit by pitch.
– David Robertson has someone to join him on the Yankees injured list: Dan Burawa. Girardi says that Burawa hurt his ribcage and has been shut down for a bit. Burawa wasn’t slated to make the Major League team this year anyway.
– A.J Burnett has returned to Pirates camp after having surgery on his eye following a fracture of his orbital bone while bunting. He’s still slated to miss 2-3 months.
– Mariano Rivera makes his own schedule. When asked when Mariano will pitch again, Girardi sounded a bit clueless when he said, “He’ll probably have some days where he has a couple days off. He might throw an inning, do a bullpen the next time, then throw an inning again. He usually gets his seven or eight appearances in, so he’s got plenty of time to do that. There’s no rush.”
Tomorrow’s Yankees game is vs. the Braves and as I mentioned it is on the radio. The next YES game will be on Tuesday night at 7:05pm which is one you don’t want to miss. Michael Kay, Paul O’Neil & Lou Pinella (by the way, my new favorite announcer on YES) will call the Red Sox vs. Yankees game! But we have to get through Monday first…
Not sure if everyone saw this video, but this was during Yankees Baseball Daily a couple of weeks ago with Jack Curry interviewing Brett Gardner. Thanks Alyssa (@TeamDRob) for sending in the video!
Have a good night everyone!